Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Camp GLOW

So this past month one of my biggest projects in Zambia finished up. I was in charge with 2 other guys to organize and run this years Camp GLOW. Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) is an all girls camp that lasted for one week. 24 village girls within Serenje and Mkushi and the 12 volunteers came to the camp. The camp taught the girls about self esteem, assertiveness, sugar daddies, rape, how to say NO, boyfriends, the importance of education and how to prevent HIV/AIDS.
During the morning the girls had the educational sessions and in the afternoon they had fun events like climbing a rock wall, Jacob's ladder, pottery and canoeing. It was pretty amazing to see the girls complete these tasks since most of them have never seen such a thing. The canoeing was extra special to me since I was able to have a swimming lesson. Most villagers in Zambia are scared of the water and think all bodies of water are infested with crocodiles (most are). Watching the girls climb the rock wall was crazy. The wall is probably 90 feet high and the girls climb up it in less than 5 minutes when it took me like 20 :) but these village girls are a solid muscle. Then at night we did lots of dancing, singing and sewed sanitary pads. It was so nice to see these girls have fun and not worry about chores and such. By the end the girls are very attached to each other and us and several cried during the last night.
The camp was a great success and I'm very happy that I was apart of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home