Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Monday, October 16, 2006

Where does time go?

Hello Everybody,
September flew by and I did not really do much. I cannot believe it is already October and that means it is getting close to Christmas time. ;)
Well, not much is going on here in Zambia. It is now hot season and it is hot!! They don't lie when they say that. You know it is really hot when all the females are sitting under a tree not working. We had our quarterly meetings in September and my boss told me that I had the month of October to decide if I wanted to stay at site in Chikupili or be transferred to another village. Work in my community does not really exist and I am tired of reading books. So, I sat down my clinic staff and told them and things are improving. So, as of today I am not leaving.
Here are some fun stories for all of you.
1. Rats are the worst things in the world!! When I got home in August they had eaten my Camelbak and a large ball. I hate them soooo much. It doesn't matter how clean or dirty your house is, they still think they are welcome. I bought some posion and so far I have killed 2. I think they are disappearing because of snakes.
2. So I was reading one day outside (surprise surprise) and I head a hissing sounds. Sure enough a snake had entered my outdoor sitting area and was like 2 feet from me. I freaked out!! Yelled for my family and they all came running. They killed it with a stick and laughed at me the whole time. By the end of the day everybody knew that I had a snake in my insaka.
3. I climb the mountain everyday at 17:00 to check my phone and watch the sunset. This one night I got home later than usual was heading to the bathroom with my head lamp one. Good thing becuase there was a HUGE snake by my toilet. This was was like 4 feet long and was black. I yelled again, family came running with sticks but it got away. I was told not to worry even though it was posionous. I hate them.
4. Zambia had its presidental election last month. Nothing too exciting happened.
5. I went to another PCV's site last weekend with 2 of my buddies. It was alot of fun to see another area and hang out with friends. He lives 40 km off the road and I almost died on the cycle but I did it. :) Ww made yummy pancakes and had a Mexican feast.
6. Interesting fact-Females in Zambia have the lowest life expectancy of all females in the world. Isnt that soooo sad.
7. Zambian Independence Day is October 24th so I am heading to another PCV's site. We are going to have a BBQ and go swimming.
8. I am planning on going to Zanzibar, an island off Tanzania, for Christmas. Cannot wait to hang out at the beach, drink cold sodas and eat lots of seafood.

All I can say is that I am learning alot. Lots of things make me really fustrated but then I take a step back and put myself in there position. I really hope work improves this quarter. So much needs to be done but if the people do not want to learn or change there is no point in me pushing them.

It has been a wonderful 9 months (WOW) and hope it continues. Love you all...please keep the letters coming. They mean the world to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home