Zambia Gott Katie

Image hosting by Photobucket I hope everybody enjoys my site. I will try to update it as often as I can but since internet is limited, it may be hard but stick with me. Thanks everybody!

Saturday, March 25, 2006

One week until SWEAR IN!! :)

Hello everybody,
Well today is probably one of the last times I will sit at a computer for quite awhile. Internet is extremely limited where I am going but I will try to get to a computer at least once a month.
Well, the past 2 months have been crazy. I really cannot believe that it has already been 2 months...time is flying by. I swear in on March 31st and become a Peace Corps Volunteer..so exciting. Then I head off for my post!! It is going to be really sad to say good bye to my host family and all of the great friends that I have made here but the next chapter of this journey needs to begin.
I just want to say thank you to everybody for the letters, pictures and packets. It is such an amazing feeling to get letters from friends and family back at home. I want to share some of my favorite things from the past 2 months with all of you.
First of all, living in Zambia is great and very different than life in the states. It is really nice living without things that I used to thing were a necessity life power and running water. I am starting to love my bush baths and studying over candlelight. :) My host family has treated me so well and same with the tech staff for Peace Corps Zambia. I still cannot believe that I killed a chicken with my own hands and saw a goat being killed. Bemba is a hard language to speak but I am learning it slowly. I am getting more used to the food and am very excited to start cooking for myself but not doing my own laundry. Doing laundry is soooo hard!!

Oh, so one of my greatest nightmares occured last night. While I was writing a few letters and my hut was attacked by huge fire ants. The ants here are brutal and when they attack then really do. I yelled for my Ba Taata and Ba Mayo and they came running from there hut. There was probably like 500,000 ants...no joke. They started to pull straw from their roof and put it on fire. (Fire is one of the best ways to get rid of them) Basically, there was little bon fires all over the yard trying to get rid of these horrible things. Meanwhile, the ants are climbing up my pants and my Ba Taata's and they latch one when they bite...Gosh it really hurts. It took us over 2 hours to get rid of them all. I tried to go to sleep but that didn't really happen. I think the rats might be back so it is a good thing that I am leaving in a week. All of these fun things like sleeping with rats, crickets, being attacked from ants and sleeping with chicken fleas is all part of the experience and I would not trade it.

I am very lucky and grateful to be here. Some mornings I wake up and cannot believe that I am here in Zambia. Zambia is amazing and I hope some of you can come out and see it first hand.

Well, that is it for now...love you all..check out my new address...stay safe and healthy...Oh, I think I might be getting a cell phone so check back later for my number.

LOVE YOU ALL AND THANK YOU AGAIN!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5/12/06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what is a bush bath?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home